Friday, May 11, 2007

Preparing to Travel

Over time I've become one of those people who just love to travel .. of course with it's limitations. I think that my cameras have really taught me an appreciation for life and every chance I can get, I'm wanting to see new places and just take it all in. If only I had the same appreciation for my home city ... well that's besides the point!!

Anyway, work is sending me out of town for a few days for training in CAD. I know AutoCad, but we use more advanced versions of the software than my last employer. Corradino only had AutoCad and OBG has Map 3D, Land Desktop, and Civil 3D .. all programs that are AutoCad plus more features, and all programs that I get to learn over time :o) Well, so far the only program I have really touched on my own is Map 3D. See, they all do the same things that AutoCad does, which is great, but then there are all kinds of bells and whistles added on top of it. Of course, I'm a big GIS fanatic so I've been diving in, and loving Map 3D. Lucky for me this training class that I'm about to go to is actually going to be on Map 3D, so I'm anxious to see what else the program can do.

Ok .. I'm rambling ...

Anyway, when I go I'll actually be going to our main office in Syracuse, NY. I've never been in the New England states before, I think the furthest in that direction I've gone would be DC. So, I'm excited about it.

At first I thought that the class was going to be held mid-week and so I scheduled the flight out ASAP so I would not be dragging the next morning. Then I find out, after the fact that it's mid week and now I'm bummed because instead of killing myself to catch the flight out in time, I could have waited until the next day and taken a detour to Niagara Falls.

Oh well.. I'll be going up there again for the other training classes so I'll just plan to do that for the next trip :o)

Anyway, so I've sat on the internet for hours looking around to see what, if anything, is up there. Well, so far there's not much in Syracuse, but lucky for me they have a lot of things that I've either never seen or really catch my interest.

Here's my list of options so far .. the class runs until 4pm and the sun sets at 8:23 ish .. so I am guessing that I run after work then I have about 3.5 hours of good light and time to take in some sights. Plus, I'm trying to stay within an hour away from Syracuse, knowing I have to work the next morning and then fly out. Although I am thinking about pushing my flight back, just so I'm not killing myself on that Friday night to get home. Then maybe I could visit more sites locally instead :o)

Here's what I'm looking at:

Option 1:
(1) Chittenango Falls in Fenner, NY ( ~ 30 minutes from where I'm at)
(2) Fenner Wind Farm in Fenner, NY (within the vicinity at around 3 miles into Fenner / from what I read you can actually see these from the Eastern sides of East Syracuse and so I'm guessing I won't have to drive far to see these)
(3) Pratt's Falls (~ 30 minutes from Chittenango Falls)
.. then maybe hang out at Onondaga or Oneida Lake the rest of the evening.

Option 2:
(1) Beaver Lake Nature Center (~ 50 minutes)
(2) Derby Hill Bird Sanctuary (within the vicinity)
.. then 50 minutes back, possibly stop by the Onondaga Lake

Option 3:
(1)
Clark Reservation State Park (~ 15 minutes)
(2) Chittenango Falls (~40 minutes)
(3) Fenner Wind Farm (within the vicinity)
.. then to a lake or something

Ok ... I'm leaning towards seeing the Chittenango Falls and then seeing the Fenner Wind Farm .. I have never seen a wind farm outside of flying overhead in an airplane.. This one is not huge, but it's something. But I'm debating on going to either the reservation or another falls... I'm thinking resevation.

Here's the downfall. Right now, Derby Hill is in prime time for raptors migrating to the area ... I almost want to see that!! But ... I won't make it during prime hours unless I did not leave until Saturday.

AAAWWW!! What I need to do is push my flight back, and then it will all be perfect :o)