Friday, May 11, 2007

Beginnings

BEGINNINGS

Within the past couple of months I've had a personal revelation. I am not where I want to be and I was ready to make some changes.

Since then, I've done an overhaul in many different areas trying to 'improve' myself, physically, emotionally, routinely, and in every other way that I want to see changes. It won't be easy, but for the first time in my life, I think I'm really ready to change, and I know that I'm doing it for the right reasons.

The bad thing is that the older I've gotten and the longer I've stayed in my routines, the more comfortable I've gotten in them, and the less willing I've become to change things.

The hardest part for me, which will come down the road, is opening up to other people and, in addition, letting people in. I've always had the mentality that if I don't show emotions, I'm less vulnerable to have those emotions taken advantage of.
But I've learned that, at the end of the day, getting to know people and letting people see the real you is worth the risk of having your feelings stepped on. I've also lived under the assumption that when things get personal, then drama is soon to follow. While in some cases that is true, I am confident that there are more people out there like me, who can be mature adults that can co-exist and be happy, while dealing with the complications of life in a more productive manner (to put in nicely).

So .. here's to new beginnings. And here's to setting goals and achieving them. I hope to hit milestones in my journey to the person I want to be.